Mentors in Out-of-School Time (MOST)
What is MOST?
Mentors in Out-of-School Time is a paid early field experience for future K-12 STEM teachers. As a mentor, you will engage local elementary grade students in an afterschool enrichment program in exciting STEM activities. Cal Poly students can participate for the entire academic year or on a quarterly basis.
MOST offers Cal Poly students a unique opportunity to try teaching in an off-campus, structured environment to see if teaching is the right career for you. In the weekly seminar, you will debrief about your experiences and learn new ways to engage students.
Additional benefits include:
- 1 unit for weekly seminar (SCM 220-03)
- $12/hour (or additional units) for time spent at local school site
To participate, you must be available Tuesdays 4-6 (seminar) and Thursdays 3-6 pm (off-campus) or Mondays 3-5 (seminar) and Wednesdays 3-6 (off campus)
To become a Mentor, students must:
- Complete a brief application, which can be found here. Students can apply for the entire academic year, or for individual quarters. Applications for participants beginning in Spring 2017 are due March 26, 2017.
- Upon acceptance, complete hiring paperwork and sign up for a Live Scan appointment
- Register for SCM 220-03 (Mentors in Out of School Time).
If you have any questions about MOST, please contact Jenny Cruz at email@example.com or (805) 756-2859