Mentors in Out-of-School Time (MOST)
Help after-school students create maker projects
Earn $17+/hour, 2-3 hours/week
Participants are eligible for a $250 Try Teaching STEM Scholarship
Do you want to make a fundamental difference in the lives of children? Have you thought about becoming an educator? Do you want to earn money while learning if a future career in education is right for you? If so, consider becoming part of the Mentors in Out of School Time team!
What is M.O.S.T. ?
M.O.S.T. is paid, early-field experience offered each quarter for undergrad students who want to work with kids or seek an experience to "try teaching."
Mentors plan, prepare, and present maker content to local elementary school students in a small group, after-school setting. Specifically, they will help after-school students with maker projects that require curiosity and creaitivty (e.g. making a wand, game,) and teaching students new skills in the process.
Mentors will meet on campus once a week to plan the weekly makter lessons and to discuss effective teaching strategies. They they visit after-school to implement the lessons.
M.O.S.T. offers a unique opportunity to try teaching in an off-campus, structured environment in tandem with weekly seminar discussions focused on effective teaching strategies.
M.O.S.T. Requirements (see registration link below)
- Available Tuesdays 4PM - 6PM (seminar on campus)
- Available Thursdays 3PM - 6PM (teaching off campus)
- Application submitted and accepted for hiring
- Hiring process and Live Scan fingerprinting completed
- 1-unit for weekly seminar (SCM 220-02)
- $17.00/hour (or additional units) for teaching at a local school site
R. Y. - Classroom teacher, "The kids love the program!"
H. L. - M.O.S.T. mentor, "If you are thinking about teaching, even just a little bit, it's a great job where you get paid to learn a lot and gain valuable experience. Highly recommend!"
**Apply for Spring 2023**
To become a Mentor, students must:
- Complete a brief application, which can be found here. Students can apply for the entire academic year, or for individual quarters. https://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/2584086/2016-MOST-Application
- Upon acceptance, complete hiring paperwork and sign up for a Live Scan appointment
- Register for SCM 220-03 (Mentors in Out of School Time).
If you have any questions about MOST, please contact Christine Haas at firstname.lastname@example.org or (805) 756-2859