Vision and Goals
To be a state and national leader in science and mathematics education in order to improve the STEM (science, technology, engineering and mathematics) pipeline and enhance the scientific and technological literacy of our society.
Improve P-12 science and mathematics teacher recruitment, education, development and retention. We will reach this goal by:
- instituting curricular and co-curricular programs that are directed toward: 1) increasing the numbers and quality of science, engineering and mathematics majors who obtain single subject credentials in the sciences and mathematics, and 2) increasing the numbers and quality of pre-service elementary school teachers who choose an emphasis in the sciences or mathematics in their undergraduate major.
- offering professional development programs for practicing P-12 science and mathematics teacher.
- nurturing a P-16 community of practice among science, mathematics and technology educators at Cal Poly and in San Luis Obispo County.
Promote effective P-16 science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) teaching, learning and literacy. We will reach this goal by:
- engaging in research, development and dissemination of effective P-16 science, mathematics and technology teaching methods and learning materials.
- sponsoring workshops and seminars focused on STEM teaching, learning and literacy.
Support programs that have significant impact on the numbers of students who enter STEM teaching, research and industry careers. We will reach this goal by:
- assisting in the development and implementation of programs that promote STEM student success and career choice, including those focused on women and minority students.