Teacher Assistant in Mathematics and Science (TeAMS)
***NOTE CLASS FORMAT SUBJECT TO CHANGE DUE TO COVID-19 PRECAUTIONS***
SEMINAR CLASS AND TUTORING INSTRUCTIONS MAY BE ONLINE
Do you want to make a fundamental difference in the lives of children? Have you thought about becoming an educator? Do you want to earn money while learning if a future career in education is right for you? If so, consider becoming part of the Teacher Assistants in Mathematics and Science group.
What is TeAMS?
TeAMS is a paid, early-field experience offered each quarter for undergrad students who seek a practical, hands-on experience to "try on teaching" while tutoring in schools throughout the community*.
TeAMS offers a unique opportunity to try on teaching in an off-campus, structured environment in tandem with weekly seminar discussions focused on effective teaching strategies that build a community of respect and rapport for both the tutor and tutee.
TeAMS participants apply effective teaching strategies to support students in Mathematics and Science. Based on the needs of the students and TeAMS members' skill set, Language Arts and Social Studies tutoring opportunities could be arranged.
- 1-unit for weekly seminar (SCM 220-01)
- $15.00/hour (or additional units) for teaching at a local school site
TeAMS Requirements (see registration link below)
- Available Wednesdays 4PM - 6PM (seminar on campus)
- Private transportation** encouraged for travel to assigned school site
- Application submitted and accepted for hiring
- Hiring process and Live Scan fingerprinting completed
C. D. - Classroom teacher, "This is an exceptional group of young adults that are already making a huge impact on our students. We are both grateful and humbled by how truly amazing they are!"
M. M. - TeAMS member, "It was so incredible getting the chance to explore and try teaching, while also getting to make genuine connections with students. I learned so much!"
*Placements are throughout the County from Paso Robles to Santa Maria.
**Arrangements can be made (but not guaranteed) for those needing assistance with transportation to and from the school site.
How do I Register?
Applications are typically considered for the following quarter. Spring applications will be considered for Fall of the following academic year, etc...
- Complete the application, which can be found here.
- Enroll in the TeAMS Seminar (SCM 220-01)
- Complete hiring paperwork* and sign up for Live Scan
- Submission of finalized Cal Poly schedule is due the second week of the quarter of participation
- Once a school placement has been designated to you, complete necessary requirements for your school site (found below)
*You must provide valid documentation authorizing your eligibility to work in the United States when completing this paperwork.
You must obtain clearance to work at the school site by completing the following:
- Live Scan or other fingerprint clearance (two are required; one for Cal Poly and one for your placement site)
- TB Clearance
Your school's district-required paperwork
TeAMS in the News:
Who Do I Contact?
- Building 25, Room 123